Tuesday 30 July 2013

Give us a job

Well, it's been a long time since my last blog, it's just amazing how time flies by. I'll get back to blogging about motorsport very soon - but right now I feel a need to rant about being mid 50 and seemingly unemployable.

Okay, there I was, happily plowing away in IT until the need to have a change came along and I left to purse a long held ambition to write. Nine years later and having learnt that I'm not going to be the next JK Rowling I need to find regular employment.

In those nine happy years I have written one novel and four film scripts, created two web businesses and qualified as a: Technical Trainer, Business Analyst, Prince 2 Project Manager and Bookkeeper. Despite all that valid endeavour I am currently not even getting a sniff at interviews for any kind of job - and I've applied for just about anything reasonable.  Can someone please explain to me why someone with 18 years IT experience - plus all of the above is considered unemployable? And to cap it all there are still people appearing on TV complaining that there's an IT skills shortage! (Oh yeah, forgot to add I can also program in C#, MVC, Entity Framework, Jquery, Razor etc etc etc). Rant over.

No comments: